How can we provide ultra-nourishment to the hair, with the weather starting to warm up, which can cause the hair to become drier and lacking in moisture? We have asked Alterna editorial director and creative brand ambassador, Joana Neves, for her top 24 tips to add moisture into our hair with the use of Alterna moisturising products…
Joana top 24 tips
Choose your shampoo
1. Start with the basics, using a good quality, moisturising shampoo! The Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Shampoo is a must, helping to nourish the most dry and damaged strands.
2. Shampoo can be known to strip the hair of its natural oils and with that in mind, women should also be informed to not overly wash their hair. If their hair just needs moisture but still looks and feels clean, they should try to wash their hair with just water and then condition and simply cut out the shampoo.
3. Instead of using a large amount of shampoo, try to use no more than a 5-10 pence size of the product. This is more than enough to cleanse and add enough moisture to the hair. Always remember, less is more!
4. On days where their hair is feeling a little oily, women should instead try using a dry shampoo like My Hair. My Canvas. Another Day Dry Shampoo to absorb excess oils whilst also adding volume to their hair.
Don’t forget about to the scalp
5. Don’t forget about the scalp! Healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp and if the scalp is too oily, this can lead to build up and dandruff and effectively, the hair looking and feeling less moisturised. To keep the scalp clean and balanced, an exfoliating product like My Hair. My Canvas. Exfoliating Cleanser is ideal and is a nice, mild formula that will avoid stripping the hair of colour and moisture.
Use a conditioner
6. Many women forget about this step and it’s a great way to add some extra moisture into the hair. Once a woman steps out the shower, she can simply spritz or distribute this into damp hair and leave to air dry for a gorgeous natural hair look whilst also giving the hair an extra drink of much needed moisture! Our Alterna top picks are the Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Priming Leave In Conditioner and the Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture CC Cream
If time is running out, follow up your shampoo with a leave in conditioner like the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Conditioner. Although shampoo will add moisture into the hair, a conditioner is richer and will help to lock in that moisture further. For hair lacking moisture, women should be using these types of products on their visits to the salon and at home too.
7. At home, women should brush their conditioner through in the shower with a large tooth comb to distribute the product more effectively through their mid-lengths and ends, ensuring all hair is coated and that it gets a good dose of moisture!
Sunshine can be good for your hair
8. When in the sunshine, women should use this to their advantage and indulge in a luxurious hair mask, such as the Alterna caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Masque. The heat will maximise the products potential and help it penetrate into the hair. Once applied, hair should be gently put into an up do style to let the product work its magic.
Your nourishing routine
9. Women should go to the salon for a hair treatment/mask every couple of months. Although you may be looking after your hair at home, this will give you a more intensive, professional treatment, whereby the stylist can really work on the hair and scalp and help with the stimulation of the treatment.
10. Women should use a hair mask at home every couple of washes to keep their hair in optimum condition at home and for a more intense treatment, they should apply their hair mask at night before going to bed, allowing it to penetrate further into the hair as they sleep!
Stylers and curling irons
11. Lay off the heated styling. You should be informed that heated styling can cause moisture loss and breakage in the hair. Therefore, going days without using styling tools is a great option to keep hair looking and feeling hydrated. You can instead experiment with texturising products like My Hair. My Canvas. Any Way Texture Spray to add texture and body to your hair or can as above, spritz some leave in conditioner through the hair for a soft, natural hair look.
12. If you need to style you hair at home with heated styling tools or if you’re coming into the salon for styling, using a heat protection spray is a must to avoid damage and to give the hair some added moisture. The Caviar Anti-Aging Bond Repair Leave-in Heat Protection Spray is a favourite of mine, leaving the hair smooth and glossy.
Bleaching and hair colorus
13. Let’s speak about colour services at the salon. You should do in-between colour services. E.g. instead of full head highlights at each appointment, having half head highlights or tzone highlights in between to avoid the hair being pulled of its moisture and to give it a break from excess damage, resulting in it looking and feeling a lot healthier!
14. In regards to colour, if you have extremely dry hair that lacks moisture, it’s also beneficial to consider using ammonia-free hair colour which is a lot gentler and less damaging on the hair.
15. Uv protection! A must for ensuring the hair is not stripped of moisture from the sun, Uv protection is a must, particularly if you are spending a lot of time in the sun. I love applying the Caviar Anti-Aging Color Hold Dual-Use Serum through damp hair and leaving to air dry. The serum wraps around hair strands and gives a lightweight veil of Uv protection and moisture – win win!
Don’t forget about the finishing oil
16. Use an oil or serum. Oils and serums are such versatile products and can be used on damp or dry hair to give it added moisture. I love to use the Caviar Anti-Aging Smoothing Anti-Frizz Nourishing Oil on damp hair and then again on dry hair after styling to really finish off the style and allow the hair to look healthy and radiant.
17. Get regular trims to ensure the hair remains healthy and free from damage and split ends.
Wind and cold weather
18. Think about over exposure to weather conditions. Extreme weather conditions such as too much sun or wind can lead to the hair becoming dry and brittle and therefore, lacking in moisture. You should consider wearing a hat in these conditions to protect your hair from the damage.
The right way to do it
19. Consider the importance of layering products correctly. This is key for ensuring the hair gets all the moisture it needs. You should be aware that the correct way to layer products is by after washing with shampoo and conditioner, applying a leave in to damp hair, an oil and then a cream should you wish to use all three products.
Silk and satin
20. Sleeping on silk or satin. Many women will not be aware that by sleeping on a pillowcase that’s silk or satin, they will retain moisture in their hair. Due to the materials of the pillowcase, it will not absorb the moisture.
21. You may also want to swap your regular hair ties with silk or satin hair ties. As well as not absorbing moisture like a silk/satin pillowcase, they don’t cause as much friction on their hair and are a lot gentler on the hair. Effectively avoiding split ends and the hair from drying out.
22 . Hydrate the hair from within. By drinking more water, it will effectively hydrate the hair from the inside out, leading it to looking and feeling healthier, moisturised and strengthened.
23. As the weather starts to get warmer, you’ll start to head on holiday. So you should be informed the advantages of waterproofing their hair. Should you be going in the pool or sea, it’s a good idea to coat your hair with a conditioning cream like the Caviar Anti-Aging Bond Repair Leave-in Protein Cream and then cover with a swim cap.
24. Gentle brushing. By brushing the hair harshly, it can cause friction, breakage and make the hair dry. You should be extremely gentle when brushing their hair (particularly when it’s wet and more prone to breakage) and should ensure you’re using a good quality brush that works to detangle.